Old Fashioned Skirts & Clothing

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
Ok this might end up being a long post, but let me get to the point straight away. I am trying to find old fashioned floor length skirts, and cannot find them anywhere! Well ok I did find some but they were 60-300 dollars, way out of my price range for ONE skirt. So, does anyone know anyone who sews them or an inexpensive website or something?

Ok now to the long part. I grew up without my mom as some of you may have read on the Old Fashioned Girls By Choice cooking thread. So my dad dressed me in t-shirts and boy shorts since I was about 8 years old. So (humiliating) I basically don't know how to dress. Even in t-shirts and jeans I end up looking not feminine and like a boy. I'm tired of feeling like *not* a woman and decided I need to TOTALLY change the way I dress. Only problem is I don't know HOW to dress myself. I guess I have a little bit of a funny looking body because I can't just go to the store and wear anything. It takes me HOURS to find anything that looks halfway decent. First time my dear bf took me to Macy's and set me loose. I wandered around for like an hour, tried on a few things and eventually got frustrated cried and left. I couldn't find ANYTHING that I either liked or looked good one me. Second time he set me loose in the ENTIRE store I found 2 shirts and 2 pants. After like 3 hours. Bf said I need to go on that TV show "What not to Wear".
lol.png
Ok so my point? I can't/ don't know how to dress, so I want to try a "country" or "western" look.... (Like I know how to do this either) People don't dress like that around here, and I know my bf will look at me like I'm insane, but how can you go wrong with a skirt right? Aren't they forgiving? So here is what I was thinking, tell me what you all think... Who knows maybe I am way off my rocker and will look even stupider but here's what I thought...

I like this one;
61023_angel_calico.jpg

This one without all the accessories and a different shirt;
61023_amie_oakley_riding_skirt.jpg

Maybe this shirt instead;
61023_unnamed.jpg

61023_f09483_set.jpeg

61023_f54525_set.jpeg

61023_durango_rd4112_15.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I think the first 2 pics are a little outdated.

2nd, is it possible to get an idea of your age, so we can help you try to find something age appropriate? Are you in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc?

How about sundresses? or something similar? tea length skirts vs full length?

Last edited:
Country or western? Like a cowgirl look?

If you have long hair, I always thought it looks really cute to hold it back with a bandana.
Plain jeans are not to be underestimated.... my favorite kind is bootcut, but that may not work for you.
Shirts.... plaid is always western-ish looking. I have a red plaid with a collar and elbow sleeves that I love.

But if you're wanting skirts, I used to have one I LOVED. I would have worn it every day.
45421_denim.jpg

Looked a bit like that... what think? And a white blouse with a colored camisole under with a skirt like that could be cute.

I'm 29 and I look funny in sun-dresses and short skirts... LOL.
lol.png
I'm a little chubby so I don't really want to show off legs and I have big upper arms so no tank tops either...

Quote:
LOVE that skirt!!!
big_smile.png
And yep, I have long hair.
smile.png
I guess a picture of myself might help?

Not into button ups or flannel/ plaid. Well at least I haven't found any I like as of yet.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Same age as me! And about the same body type...... The tea length skirts are going to be just below the knee, but not to the ankle.

Bootcut jeans as mentions are always a good choice. Wrangler brand, levi, etc.

Have you considered stopping at a thrift or second hand store to see what they have on the racks? Sometimes you can find cute and comfortable stuff at those places for a few bucks each.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOVE that skirt!!!
big_smile.png

Not into button ups or flannel/ plaid. Well at least I haven't found any I like as of yet.
smile.png

Mmm-kay.... Hmmm.... I don't know that there are that many western-y options that aren't plaid or button up. But you could probably pull off just a cute t-shirt with a denim skirt.

One of my favorite looks when I was wearing long skirts (I'm six foot tall so I look great in a long skirt providing I can find one long enough) was to wear a western looking skirt, denim or even some flowery, like a flour sack print with pretty poet shirt-y'know, the shirts with the ruffle around the neck, sorta low cut with gathered very full sleeves and more simple ruffle at the wrist. Very, very cute and more feminine than a button down collar shirt.
I hesitate to say this but you could almost make some of these skirts if you had just a little bit of help and a second hand sewing machine. The hard part (for a beginner) is placing the waist band which you definitely need if you're a little on the fluffy side but gathering the skirt and hemming are super simple. You could probably find a how-to vid on u-tube or at the fabric store. They may even have some classes at the fabric store!!! That way you could not only change your look but you could really customize and tailor your look. Some pockets in the skirts are always fun, I've found.

Back
Top Bottom