Old Fashioned Water Well Hand Pumps - Still Made?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by moderndayhippy, Aug 16, 2010.

1. moderndayhippy

moderndayhippy In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Does anyone know if they still make the old fashioned water well hand pumps? If they do, does anyone know where to purchase them from, or who you have to hire to "install" them? Thanks so much for any help. I'd really like to get one eventually if they're not too expensive. That way we can still have water if the power goes out, or if there ever was a real disaster.

2. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Yes! I am pretty sure I saw them in the Northern Equipment catalog.

Also my local Do-It Center Hardware store has one on display, so check them out.

Tractor Supply might have'em. Have not seen them there or in the catalog but I wasn't looking for them either.

Install- plumer or water well driller.

I thought about getting one for years, I have my own water well. No power - no water, got me a generator.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may want to PM or email our member "Ellie" here. She recently put one in and can tell you all about it.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I know they are in use at our local state forest for the rustic cabins, so they have to still be made! I use to work for the DNR.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    you can also purchase them at TS and at Harbor Freight. I had a hand driven well that I used one of these on top as a backup [​IMG]

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:X2 on Harbor Freight. We have one and it comes in handy.

7. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    personally I love the crank one vs. the lever style... I don't tire out as easily with the crank but if you are going for an authentic look, they have those also!! Also, pretty sure in the back of Mother Earth News in the Adds they have a few manufacturers that still try to hawk some via mail order.

8. That is SO weird because I was thinking the same thing just a couple months back!

When we went up to Arkansas in May we stopped at Mem's house and ended up needing water (long drama story) and I ran around the corner and there it was ... pull up the handle, wait a sec, and then whoosh water. Very cool. I had totally forgotten about it, but I remember how cool it was as a kid... and whatta ya know it's still pretty neat today.

That's also the kind of "spigot" that campsites at Joe Pool Lake have as well.

I tried hunting them up, but had some trouble. I forget now where I finally found them but I'll see if I can find my research.

Edit... Mems and Peps is more like this one.... but seems like theirs doesn't stick out so far?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  9. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    that one looks like it works on water pressure from a well. I think they were talking about a human powered hand pump? [​IMG]

10. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by