Old feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChristieB, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    I have about 3/4 of a bag of layer pellets left from my last lot of chickens, its probably 18 months since opening so completely stale (probably rotten, I haven't opened the bin in a while to check) I wish I'd thought to give it away when we lost the last chook but I forgot about it so my question is what do I do with it??? Can you put stuff like that in general waste or do we need to take it to the dump ourselves?

(In Australia if that helps)

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    I'd just put it in the trash.Unless you have some kind of regulations about it.

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    You could put it in the trash, but it'd be more "green" to compost it. In the trash, it's just trash. As compost, you can grow food with it. If composting isn't your thing, offer it up for free to someone who does. Gardeners would love it!

4. ChristieB

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Oh cool how would I go about composting it ? Just dump it in and wet it? Our current compost is just a pile of grass clippings and wood shavings from the coop would it be worth getting worms to put in there ? I wasn't sure if I could co post it, I thought it might just rot and stink which our neighbours wouldn't be happy about

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Just dig a hole in your current compost pile and bury the old feed in there and wet it down a bit. Best to bury it 12-24 inches deep. It shouldn't smell any more than your current compost pile does.

The one small problem with this way would be if your chickens have access to the compost pile. They might dig into it and find the old feed. I wouldn't worry too much about it if they do, though.

6. ChristieB

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Thanks that's perfect, the girls won't be able to get to the compost any time soon so that's not a problem
    Thanks for all your help!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure I'd put it all in one place in the pile..... but spread it thru the pile when turning your pile and add water if your pile is dryish.

I imagine that once wet, it will be a 'hot' component.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  8. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    If you put it in the compost give it a good drench of water. if it stays nice and dry, rats will come for it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by