Old Fighting Cock pen needs update to raise Chicks. Ideas and suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SutalleeChicks, Jan 23, 2013.

1. [​IMG] Front view
    [​IMG] Front view
    [​IMG] Front view
    [​IMG] Inside pen view
    [​IMG] Inside enclosed part, dirt floor, with shelf
    [​IMG] Wire over top of pens, inside
    [​IMG] Separate pens, can be used as run area?
    [​IMG] Inside pen
    [​IMG] Inside pen, dirt floor
    [​IMG] Wire over pens
    [​IMG] Walk way between pens
    [​IMG] Shelf
    [​IMG] Back of pen
    [​IMG] Side view
    [​IMG] Front view

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    You fought your chickens?

3. No! This old house I bought had several pens, the old owners of the property raised fighting cocks. My son and I would like to convert the pen into a chicken coop.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Might want to reinforce the wire with hardware cloth to keep out the opossums and raccoons.

5. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Ok, I read the thread title and was a little concerned!
    I'm new myself and I'm finding a wealth of information on here! Just read around and the new information will start to sink in ;)

How large is the building you are working with? I only seen two pictures and it looks like it definitely needs some work, needs some hardware cloth for the sides and not the wire with such large holes.
    What about a run? How large of an area do you have to work with a run? and how many chickens do you plan to have?
    Just keep researching around the forum and enjoy! Their are a ton of pictures with ideas and hundreds of thousands of threads on here with ideas.

Good Luck! & Welcome! :)

6. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Depending on where you live, you might want to make "shutters" for he windows for winter. If you cover them with plastic, you'll still have the light from them without the wind. For chicks you'll need a heat source and very good protection from any drafts. Does it have electricity?

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Modifications to be made are going to be a function of what you intend to do with your birds, how many and their age(s).

Not all components photographed were used as pens and as such may be well suited for use as brooder or supplies storage area. The table like structure could even be used in manner similar to what previous owner used it for, namely working birds to give them excersize when they are otherwise cooped up in relatively small areas. Such workouts will enable you and birds to bond.

8. OK. So I have uploaded all pictures I have of the old pen.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I like it although it will not be coon proof. It will be shaded in summer and in sun during winter so closing it up to keep birds warm not needed. Biggest concern is periodic cleaning. It was designed for a relatively small number birds one male or male and a small number of females in pens so keeping manure under control was easy. Going with more birds will result in some tight work when cleaning pens. Pens as they are used to could be used for rearing juveniles.

I would like electricity as well but even now must do without.

To round out I would have dog. Any short comings building has with respect to predators could be resolved with dog working perimeter and possible going down isle.

10. Do I need a wood floor in the enclosed area where the shelf is? We plan to raise chicks for eggs mostly, might expand. This is a father/son adventure. Structure is 11 feet wide by 20-25 ft roughly. I will eventually run power.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by