old flock fighting newcomers. Help!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenlady29, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Chickenlady29

Chickenlady29 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    I have a small flock of yr old red sexlinked pullets and a month ago got two leghorn hens. Done the 30 day incubation and introduced them last night. It went good. Today my reds are pecking at and fighting my leghorns. There all the same size. I know they have to establish pecking order but is there anything i can do to make that happn faster or should i take the leghorns out or just leave them be and let them fight it out. I just dont want anyone hurt. How long does this usually last? Any and all advice appreciated. My red sed links were my first chickens so this is my first time introducing new chickens to the flock and i just want to make sure iDo it right and its easy as it can be on them. Thanks.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Unless one does get hurt, just leave them in with the others. Do you have some hiding places for the leghorns? More than one feeder and waterer? If you take the leghorns out, all you're doing is prolonging the inevitable. They are going to squabble until they get it worked out. It could take a day or two, it could take longer. There's really not much you can do to make it go faster.

3. Chickenlady29

Chickenlady29 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Thank you. I have extra feeders and waters and i just been leaving them be and checking on them ever so often. Just wanted to make sure i was doing right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by