Old girl seems weak and can't get up, please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by inthisrage, Dec 3, 2012.

1. inthisrage

inthisrage New Egg

Dec 3, 2012
    New Orleans
    My chicken Dawn is a roughly 7.5-8 years old Rhode Island Red. For a few weeks she has been moving slower, not coming when called, just generally winding down it seems. Yesterday she was laying in the yard, one wing out to her side and just laying there. When we checked her out she was slow to get moving, but when put back on her feet she started walking around. She had lot of chicken gook stuck to her bum feathers (she has been our friendliest and yet most dirty chicken for years) so we washed her off and she seemed fine... Rickety and slow, gosh she's so light also. However, fine. Thing is if she gets tipped she just lies down, she cannot get back up and she will try with little real effort. The other chicken, maybe two years old, is 100% a-okay. Dawn's poop is runny-normal. There is no obvious injury or blood, though her vent is RED RED and "not right" looking, and she is keeping her tail down, her wings low hanging. She has always been docile and happy to be with humans, jumping for little scraps of food, yesterday she spent hours in our laps, purring and sleeping. Usually they have the whole yard, last night I kept her separated and she's drinking water and eating and hunting, it's all just in slow motion... I keep having to right side up her, about every few hours. If treatment is needed I have to do it on my own, I just can't afford to bring her to the vet (I don't even know if a vet in my area sees chickens.) If this is the end I want to make sure she doesn't suffer, right now I can't really see any signs of pain so much, if I do I need to have her put to sleep.
    Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Sonya

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sounds like she is just getting old, poor gal. AVC in her water, or vitamins, might help her perk up a bit. Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest. My oldest gals are just over three, so I haven't had an old gal to deal with as yet. And I would probably give her some special treats too, just to help her be happy if this is the end of her time.

3. inthisrage

inthisrage New Egg

Dec 3, 2012
    New Orleans
    That's kind of what I was thinking, just didn't want to dismiss it if others thought more of it. She is doing better, seems stronger. I think that having food given to her, treats and water all placed where she could not only get it with little effort, but not have Buffy steal it from her has helped. We have plans to let Buffy go live with a friend who keeps chickens and to change the coop into an old folks home, you know shallow ramp and lowered water. Also, along with vitamins she is going to be eating a lot of human food prepped with no added salt and seasonings. This chicken has been the best and I plan on having her be as spoiled and happy as she can be...
    Thank you for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by