Old hat with chickens, brand new to ducks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by localife, Mar 13, 2015.

1. localife

localife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Hello! I have been raising chickens for many years, but I am brand new to raising ducks (though I have been researching, and lurking here, for quite a long time). On Tuesday I brought home 10 day old Welsh Harlequin ducklings -- 2 male, and 8 female. And may I say, they are HILARIOUS! I have them in a 4'x4' brooder in my living room at the moment (I promised my son they could be in the house for at least a week...), and it's impossible to walk past them without being waylaid by their adorable appearance and crazy behavior. Anyway, my gratitude to all who respond to questions and concerns, and just generally mentor those of us who are flying by the seat of our pants!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I bet they are hilarious - I can just picture them waddling around. I understand ducks are much messier than chickens in bowel habits and getting everything soaked from their water bowl. So the cuteness factor comes with a price. They may be out of the living room sooner than you expect.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love the way ducks waddle around. So cute and funny!

I don't know much about raising them so you may want to check out this link
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

4. localife

Mar 13, 2015
    Ha, you haven't seen my living room! Just kidding -- they are much messier than chicks, especially when it comes to their water, but watching them go insane just because water exists is completely worth the mess. I was somewhat prepared for mess, so the brooder I built is designed to accommodate that (theoretically, anyway). I built a wire platform with a tray underneath today for their food and water, which is where things get to most foul, so now cleaning time is much easier on me, and they seem to be highly entertained by trying to figure out how to get to the stuff that falls through the wire into the pan below... Thanks for the welcome, and I do intend to make full use of the expertise and experience around here!

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

It would be nice to see a photo of your new ducks. Hope you have fun with them, little ducks are so cute.

Good luck with them!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock".

Congratulations on your new ducks! I've never kept them myself, but have always wanted to.[​IMG]

8. localife

Mar 13, 2015
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I had always wanted ducks, but never kept them, too -- for about 20 years.... -- now I think I may be hooked :) I'll try to post pictures later today.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by