Old Hen acting weird!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Songbird10, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Songbird10

Songbird10 New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    I have an old Ameraucana hen, I don't know how old, I just know old, like 4 to 6 years old. She's been very strange lately. She is very tame, too tame, and she never ever used to be. She'll follow me for food every once in a while, and let me pick her up without any fuss. But the strange thing is, she can't keep her balance, and she lives in slow motion. She moves slowly, and you know how you see chickens move their heads so fast you almost can't even see them move. Well she moves to where you can see every single move. i thought she had coxedioses (sorry, I don't know how to spell that) and I treated her for that. I've treated her for worms, so does she have mites? I found one mite on myself after handling her, but that's all. And she's super thin, hardly weighs two and a half pounds I think. I've had her for 3 years this coming summer, and she was the fastest we had. We always called her 'The Roadrunner'. One time she was really wet and I brought her in by the fire, and I went about my daily chores and she still sat in that chair. She's sitting in my lap right now and seeming to enjoy every second. Even though I think she enjoys it, I know she wants to be outside, but...I'm just very worried about her. Her buddy, a Japanese Bantam hen, got killed by our dog yesterday, so now because of that incident, I want to try to save her more than ever. And she doesn't want to eat her pellats, i throw some on the ground and she goes to them, but doesn't eat, I think she wants corn. She was coming out of the shed where her little haven is, and she didn't jump, she fell to the ground, laid there for a couple seconds, then got up again. What's wrong with her? Please help!

2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Well, in my opinion, if you found one mite on you chances are there are more. I'd check her over carefully, under the wings, around her vent. You can put some Sevin dust in the foot of some pantyhose, and dust her with it. I'd also dust the coop with it. You'd need to repeat that in about 10 days or so to kill any new ones that hatch. Good luck!

3. Songbird10

Songbird10 New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks! I can't be around Sevin dust, I'm sensitive to artificial poisons like that. But I hear diatemacious earth works the same. So I practically bathed her in it when my Mom found one in the bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by