OLD HEN- GREEN POOP LETHARGIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bksangel, Dec 29, 2016.

1. bksangel

bksangel Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2015
    Please help! 3 yr old hen hardly ever lays found packed with green poop on backside and walking very slowly. Seems puffed up, no watery eyes or snotty nose, vent clear. She's a Red Comet. Observed her drinking water today, not sure about food but she's just as fat as ever. Her abdomen is very firm underneath but not in an "egg shape". Gave her a bath and sat her in epsom salt water for a while but she won't roost. Inside now and she won't even lay down. Super sad. Don't know how to help her. [​IMG]

Update! I cooked up a plain egg and she hogged it down quick but haven't seen poop since we set her up with clean shavings after her bath. Praying she makes it through the night and I find some normal poo tomorrow! Could this be from her feed? She's on Purina omega 3 Layena but hasn't laid normally in months- wondering if I should give her something else since she doesn't lay?? Not sure how many eggs would be safe to feed her- I know too much protein isn't good either [​IMG] Hoping she pulls through- as a side note, she survived a brutal assault on the coop back in June that killed 8 other hens- I can't believe she made it through that!! Her entire head and neck was completely torn up, so I know she's a tough cookie [​IMG] Any insight will help- thank you!!!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    When you state that she hasn't laid "normally" in months - does this mean she just has not laid eggs or did she lay eggs that were "not normal" (soft-shell, shell-less, odd shaped, wrinkled, etc.)?

It sounds like she may have some type of reproductive/internal laying disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Any of these conditions can cause them to have trouble walking/roosting, go off feed, stand in odd positions (penguin stance - can't lay down well). Supportive care is usually all you can do, since antibiotic treatment is usually short-lived at best.

Green poop is usually an indication that she is not absorbing enough nutrition. Sometimes it can indicate infection as well. Provide her with extra poultry vitamins - focus on keeping her hydrated, but if she will eat the egg, then let her have it. The Layena shouldn't hurt, but if you have some chick starter or grower crumbles you can give her those as well.

3. bksangel

bksangel Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2015
    Thank you so much! Last year just before winter she went through a terribly hard molt and was literally completely naked. She quit laying around that time and has maybe layed 3 or 4 eggs within the last year. We have two pullets with her, and have noticed that just within the last week one of them has been laying soft shell eggs, which is surprising for their young age. She's still pooping all green at this point but seems alert enough and is finally laying down now.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

If you aren't doing so,offer oyster shell free choice for your girls, also offering a good poultry vitamin to their water once or twice a week may be helpful as well. Soft shelled eggs can be caused by not enough calcium, vitamin deficiency, illness or stress/disturbances in the flock.

I do hope your sick hen gets better soon. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by