"Old Hen" is New "Chick" @ BYC

catsknowme

Hatching
May 6, 2015
jumpy.gif
Welcome from the Eastern Sierra, California, where laying hens bravely face all that Mother Nature has to offer - minus 0 temps in winter; 100+ temps in summer; with the occasional earthquake and 100+mph winds thrown in for entertainment.

My "girls" and Nels, their rooster (my disabled daughter loves "Little House on the Prairie") are really pets, each with her own name and her personality as well as egg-color, is well-known by the family. They are 5 years old and continue to faithfully lay 5-6 days a week.

I was in 4-H and laying hens were my favorite project. Back in the '60s, I didn't have access to hybrid chicks - I created my flocks with "giveaways" of various breeds which did not have the "brooding" genetically modified out of them. It was fun to have setting hens but difficult to send the cockerels away to be used as food by other local families.

I look forward to meeting the BYC membership. See you in the forums!
frow.gif
Susano

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice to meet you! Sounds like you have nice flock. Don't you just love their personalties?! I also keep mine just for pets. But of course those eggs are a huge plus! Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. My family and I love the Sierras and spent a lot of time camping in them during the 7 years we lived in California. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom