Old hen laid first time in a year. Now butt bleeding.

taffee50

Chirping
Apr 3, 2015
Ione Ca
My old Americauna hen stopped laying a year ago. No problem. She is a pet. Today she laid a beautiful green egg again, but it was bloody along with her butt. I cleaned her butt. Husband went to see her an hour later and she was fine. I'm thinking she may have been egg bound or prolapsed. She's ok now, but I'm nervous.

My old Americauna hen stopped laying a year ago. No problem. She is a pet. Today she laid a beautiful green egg again, but it was bloody along with her butt. I cleaned her butt. Husband went to see her an hour later and she was fine. I'm thinking she may have been egg bound or prolapsed. She's ok now, but I'm nervous.
A lot of blood like she had been vent picked when she laid an egg or possibly a little blood because she had not laid in such a long time (working the kinks out)?

When a young bird (pullet) comes into lay, it's not usual to see a little smear of blood on the first few eggs. Sometimes I might see an egg smeared with a bit of blood an older hen has laid once she's started back after molting.

I understand your concern. I would keep watch on her and see how she's doing. It may be a one time thing, but if you fear she prolapsed, then it may be worth giving her extra calcium for around 3 days.

Thank you everybody. All chickies eat healthy. We make a formula. I think her poor vent wasn't used to it after so long. It didn't look like pecking. Why would she lay after such a long dormant?

Thank you everybody. All chickies eat healthy. We make a formula. I think her poor vent wasn't used to it after so long. It didn't look like pecking. Why would she lay after such a long dormant?
Glad she's doing o.k.

It's a good question and I don't really have answers. Some hens take a long break and resume for a while. She may not lay an egg for another good while.

Back
Top Bottom