Old hen or sick hen? Pics included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LexsPeeps, May 5, 2017.

1. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    I have a RIR hen we bought about 3 months ago that up until a week ago was doing great. She hasn't lost much if any weight, her feathers don't look very well, and her comb began to shrivel up and turn paler than her normal color, she eats and drinks some, and she doesn't want to move around much even when let out to forage. I'm not sure whether she is just showing her age or if she needs treatment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    How old do you think she is? Why is she on a wire floor? Do you have a dusting pan in that pen? Have you gave her anything medicine wise?

3. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    I sat her on a "timeout" cage we have in the pen for when we have a naughty bird to get the pictures of her. The actual coop floor is rocky, we do have a dust bath in the pen, I haven't given her any medications because I couldn't find anything that matched symptoms of what she is going through, I have no idea how old she is. My dad bought 4 RIR from a farmer and he didn't ask :/ I had been assuming they were older birds due to their laying abilities and habits, but still not sure exactly how old. I have been listening to her breathing, it's been clear no rasping and trying to examine her poop when I see her drop some, I haven't noticed anything that looked abnormal

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  4. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Sadly, she passed this afternoon :( :'(

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by