Old Hen Sleeping A Lot

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kreagerm, Mar 18, 2012.

1. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I have an older Hen, we're not actually sure of her age though, she is pretty much a rescue from a friends flock. Our RIR and BR do pick on her often, but she does have a big area to free range in as well as her own coop away from the mean girls to roost in. We've noticed in the past few weeks all she wants to do is sleep, even during the day. Her eyes seem very squinty and are not wide eyed like they should be. She eats and drinks like normal, and her poop looks normal. Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior with an older bird?

Matt

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My MIL lost some chickens to old age over the past few years and we noticed they get a bit slow and sleepy near the end. They also don't move around much and walk stiff legged and with some difficulty.
    Hope that's not the case with your old girl.

3. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    Thanks Sumi.

We'll keep giving her a good home so she can enjoy your time with us.

4. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    Just wanted to give you an update. My old girl (Cagnie) passed away today. It was pretty easy to see the end was near for the old girl.

RIP my sweet Faverolle!!!!

5. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well it sounds like she lived a good life and was loved till the very end. Sounded like a natural and easy passing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by