1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old hen & young rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brewster the Rooster, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brewster the Rooster

Brewster the Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Holly Hill SC
    We have recently got a old hen . She looks old & doens't lay eggs. The problem is the young rooster ( 8 months old ) we have had wants to chase her & try to mate with her. She runs & screams like someone is killing her. She wants NOTHING to do with the rooster. Her days of mating are over. Will the rooster ever leave her alone ??? [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, eventually he will. He's a teen with raging hormones.

3. Brewster the Rooster

Brewster the Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Holly Hill SC
    I'm afraid to let her run around the yard & the rooster chasing her til she has her head stuck in the fence & stays there til I go & get her. Does this sound normal to you ? I don't want him to hurt her. Usually I have to pick her up within a couple of minutes to save her. What should I do???? She is so gentle & sweet but he is just a crazy rooster named Brewster :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by