Old horse stall into a chicken coop

FATHERFORD

Chirping
Feb 21, 2018
Houston Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Got most of my new chicken coop built. Still have a few finishing touches. 12'x14'. Stall faces south so the south wind should keep it "cool" in the hot and humid days, but keep it plenty work in the winter.

Raised the floor 6 inches. The barn flooded 2" during the "1000 year flood" we just had in Houston. Still need to finish the ceiling, add my lights/power, and a few other odds and ends.

Debating on redoing the roost to make them all equal height. Seeing how the chickens like them.
chickencoop01.jpg
chickencoop02.jpg
chickencoop03.jpg
chickencoop04.jpg
chickencoop05.jpg
chickencoop06.jpg
chickencoop07.jpg
chickencoop08.jpg
chickencoop09.jpg
chickencoop10.jpg
chickencoop11.jpg
chickencoop12.jpg
chickencoop13.jpg

That's an ideal design for your climate. More people need to follow your lead. I have a more traditional stall that I use as my coop. Easily works for 30 birds. I use a second stall to raise pullets. 25-30 in a batch. My profit is about $7 per pullet. Helps pay the layer feed bill.

That's an ideal design for your climate. More people need to follow your lead. I have a more traditional stall that I use as my coop. Easily works for 30 birds. I use a second stall to raise pullets. 25-30 in a batch. My profit is about $7 per pullet. Helps pay the layer feed bill.
I agree.

I hate seeing the closed up coops in hot climates

I agree.

I hate seeing the closed up coops in hot climates
Me TOO!

It's just too darn hot year round down here in Houston for a closed up coop.
I don't see how people build them and use them and keep their birds alive in them.

@FATHERFORD Great job!
It looks great!

To answer your roost height question, have roosts at 2,3 and 5 feet. The 5 footer was for the guinea. Chickens quickly decided that it was the one. The 5' is always full. The 3' will have the fatties (Brahma and Cochin) and older hens. The lower ones are only used by pullets until they are part of the flock. Your ladder roosts looks great but I have found that the highest roost is what they all want.

Back
Top Bottom