old hovabator still air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by charlotteda, Jan 4, 2009.

1. charlotteda

charlotteda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    Years ago I got rid of my big incubator.
    I still have my old hovabator, still air with auto turner.... for a small batch would it be worthwhile to buy the fan ? its about $30

Thanks
    Charlotte

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yes most deffinatly [​IMG]

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    cheaper just to find a old broken computer and use the fan from it. Thats what I did and works great.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have found these little fans in all kinds of places and the prices range from $ 3.00 - 12.00, so go look around Ill bet you find one locally for cheap.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I have no problems with a still air. I debated putting a computer fan in there but I've been hatching 90%+ lately now that I have it figured out so I don't think the effort or money would be worth it. Your choice if you want to add one or not.

I would replace the thermostat wafer in an older incubator. It's suggested to replace those yearly if you can and they are cheap.

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=110

6. charlotteda

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    Thank you for the awesome replies. The one fan I looked at online was for the hover and was about $30. Where else are you guys seeing these .

7. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Is it difficult to wire the computer fan in the LG? Details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Not at all, first get the fan. Then find a old extra plug. The kind that usually goes to chargers and things. Everyone usually has a bunch laying around that you can't remember what they went to (the end that plugs into the wall should say what it converts to like 12V ect the fan should say on it what volt it is. I believe the plug has to be the same of less then the fan. cut the small end off that plugged into the item you no longer have or can't remember what it was and strip off some. you will then find the smaller wires. Cut the yellow wire off the fan you don't need it. Now just hook black to black ect. cover with wire nut and its done. I covered my wire nuts and part of the cord with electrical tape.

9. charlotteda

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    [​IMG]
    I understand regarding wiring the fan... my problem is to visualize how you attach the fan inside the incubator...

Does anyone have pictures ?

10. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Quote:Very helpful...I'll give it a shot on an electrical circuit other than the one that is currently running my incubator!! Thanks a bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by