Old injury declining hen’s health? Hen acting lethargic and sickly! Please help!

A couple of tablespoons to the container you are soaking in is usually good (warm water). I don't do the gasoline thing, never have, and definitely would not use on a bird that has raw or broken skin, would burn like the dickens! Some people use nu stock ointment also, rather than vaseline.
Oooh that reminds me, we have a homemade salve made with crisco and healing herbs our Native American friend makes! I bet that’d work too! Her eyes concern me and everything I’ve read now doesn’t mention eyesight at all. It seems like she’s struggling to see. I hope that gets better! I’m going to keep her in hospital awhile, because she definitely gets picked on! How often would you recommend I change her bedding in there?
So her treatment plan (and the rest of the flock too) is dusting feathers once a week until eggs are gone. Scaly mite treatment soaking and then continue putting on ointment every few days. Clean and spray entire coop and clean up run of all feathers too. How often do I need to repeat spraying the coop?

Usually three times at weekly intervals for treating the coop.
You might give her some vitamins also. If she's weak and hasn't been eating well that could help. There are some chicken specific ones, poultry cell, nutri drench, etc. You could also give her a human B complex tablet or capsule once a day.
For bedding in the crate I usually do daily. If monitoring droppngs I will use old bath towels or puppy pads and change them out as needed. If she's sitting all the time then I would do the best you can to make sure she's not sitting in droppings. There may be more going on with her, but the lice and mites definitely need to be dealt with. If she's eating and drinking, then I would see if a couple of days gives you any improvement. If something changes let us know. At 3 or 4 years of age reproductive problems are not uncommon. If shes molting on top of it, then even harder on her. If she won't eat on her own, try hand feeding her. Sometimes if you get a little in them it will get them going. Make sure her crop is functioning, filling when she eats and emptying completely over night.

You might give her some vitamins also. If she's weak and hasn't been eating well that could help. There are some chicken specific ones, poultry cell, nutri drench, etc. You could also give her a human B complex tablet or capsule once a day.
For bedding in the crate I usually do daily. If monitoring droppngs I will use old bath towels or puppy pads and change them out as needed. If she's sitting all the time then I would do the best you can to make sure she's not sitting in droppings. There may be more going on with her, but the lice and mites definitely need to be dealt with. If she's eating and drinking, then I would see if a couple of days gives you any improvement. If something changes let us know. At 3 or 4 years of age reproductive problems are not uncommon. If shes molting on top of it, then even harder on her. If she won't eat on her own, try hand feeding her. Sometimes if you get a little in them it will get them going. Make sure her crop is functioning, filling when she eats and emptying completely over night.
Awesome! Just got all the supplies needed! They had poultry cell! She was eating! Thank you so very much!!! I thought she was a goner, but I have some hope for her now!

I can’t figure out anything else wrong with her, but she seems to be declining more. Her head seems to be twitching involuntarily and she’s not eating and drinking as much since yesterday. It may just be too late for her 😞

I'm very sorry she's not doing well. Sometimes the things going on internally are not obvious from the outside. Lice and mites seem to have a way of finding birds that are weakened by other things. I always recommend a necropsy when the cause is not really known, it can bring peace of mind or provide useful information going forward. I often necropsy my own for that very reason. I've lost birds with no bloat, that kind of just weakened and faded away and found cancer on necropsy. It's often impossible to know otherwise. If you want a professional one then contact your state poultry lab, in some states it's not really expensive. At her age, it could be many things. Again, I'm very sorry. :hugs
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom