Old lettuce -okay?

shakecc

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Central OH
Is it okay to give the chickens some older bagged lettuce as a treat. I have some in the fridge that is not rotten, but old enough that I don't want to eat it! Would it be okay to give to the chickens...they would enjoy some green this time of year!

I think the rule is "old is okay, rotten is not." Occasionally, I'll find of bagged lettuce or spinach in the fridge and notice that it's a week expired - though it looks fine. So I throw it in the run and my four girls go nuts and an half an hour there's nothing left. Haven't seen any problems so far.

-Scott

Not slimy = fine.

Slimy = unwise.

smile.png

Pat

Anything green not potatos or the skin
is ok as long as its not rotten
My ladies even love left over tacos shells.
or a whole pumpkin to peck at.

Last edited:
It's amazing what chickens will eat. I give my girls things that are questionable - indeed, the scary tupperware at the back of the fridge - and they're fine.

And yes, I do give my chickens chicken.

Quote:
I agree. One of the fun parts of having chickens is seeing what else they'll eat . My parents have even started saving some of their kitchen scraps. My dad will say "will your chickens eat this stuff?" .... I say "probably, chickens will eat anything!" I don't put out things rotten and slimey, but I will put out chicken for them.

Back
Top Bottom