Old lettuce -okay?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shakecc, Jan 28, 2009.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Is it okay to give the chickens some older bagged lettuce as a treat. I have some in the fridge that is not rotten, but old enough that I don't want to eat it! Would it be okay to give to the chickens...they would enjoy some green this time of year!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    As long as its not at all rotten, would you feel safe eating it, even if you dont want to would you? if so then its fine.

3. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably be fine but if it is old the nutrient value would be low so best to buy some greens from the market at they are cheap and better than lettuce. Most like collards.

4. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    I think the rule is "old is okay, rotten is not." Occasionally, I'll find of bagged lettuce or spinach in the fridge and notice that it's a week expired - though it looks fine. So I throw it in the run and my four girls go nuts and an half an hour there's nothing left. Haven't seen any problems so far.

-Scott

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Not slimy = fine.

Slimy = unwise.

[​IMG]

Pat

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Anything green not potatos or the skin
    is ok as long as its not rotten
    My ladies even love left over tacos shells.
    or a whole pumpkin to peck at.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's amazing what chickens will eat. I give my girls things that are questionable - indeed, the scary tupperware at the back of the fridge - and they're fine.

And yes, I do give my chickens chicken.

8. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    Quote:I agree. One of the fun parts of having chickens is seeing what else they'll eat . My parents have even started saving some of their kitchen scraps. My dad will say "will your chickens eat this stuff?" .... I say "probably, chickens will eat anything!" I don't put out things rotten and slimey, but I will put out chicken for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by