1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old Little Giant Incubator #5200

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mbleily, Mar 10, 2012.

1. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I just borrowed a little giant incubator. Found out it was a reall old one with the snap thermostat. the good thing about it is it has the turner.

I can figure out the thermostat at all. I don't understand the instructions. It says: Turn adjusting screw clockwise until it bring the wafer in contact with the micro switch(?) and you hear a light click. You will notice the pilot light goes out when you hear this click. Now turn the adjustment screw count-clockwise 6 complete turns. The indicator light and heater element are now turned on and the wafer has room to expand as the incubator heats up. The red indicator light will always be on when the heater element turns off. That statement right there seems totally wrong to me. I feel it should be the other way around. [​IMG]

Anyway nothing I do turns off the indicator light. I dont hear the click it wants me to hear and the wing nut gets in the way all the time.

I was excited to get this one but it seems to be more of a problem than my home made one.

Has anyone here used one of these and can give me some information a little clearer. I don't know if the wafer is supposed to go all the way down and touch the switch thing or not. I can't tell if it does. The light never goes out either. It all sees totally backwards to me. Help!

2. WVstruttin

WVstruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    WV
    The wafer has to go down to the switch to turn the heating element off. You may have to loosen the wing nut in order to get it to go down. I personnally like the wafer thermostat. The best way to set the temp, I put my thermometers in the bottom or on the egg turner, then start adjusting the thermostat up or down. When the wafer presses the little button down on the switch the heat goes off. If it is not hot enough I raise the wafer by turning it so it comes up thus releasing the button on the switch and turning heat back on. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy. So I suggest you turn incubator on, light should be on, let run and keep checking temps, if too hot turn adjustment down, If not warm enough, turn up, but do this a little at time ( up or down ) till you get temp you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by