Old metal shed. NEW FLOOR :)

rehric00

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
So, this is my first year raising chickens, and boy! It has been interesting. My neighbors were going to throw away this old 12x8 metal shed in the spring and I gladly took it off their hands to turn into a coop. I had no floor, but we sat it on a concrete pad, keep the chickens safe and secure- that is, from everything except water!

That stupid thing floods every time it rains... I have cleaned and caulked and cleaned and sprayed and tried everything under the sun to fix the gaps between the metal and concrete but it still leaks. Soooo, I broke down and went to buy the wood to make a new, REAL floor for my coop. I cannot wait until we have it done!!

I am very much looking forward to a clean and DRY coop, but probably not has much as my girls are ;) I am also going to make a new door and add some windows and vents, if time/money allows. I cannot tell you guys how excited I am to have a like-new coop after a couple weeks :D

What have you all done to renovate and update your coop? Any suggestions or ideas??

This is my metal coop it was a rescue as well. It is only 4x8 foot print. I mounted it on a trailer. I move once a year run and all and plant my garden in the vacated patch.

That is so cool! I love the idea of being able to move it! Very neat. Now I wish I coulda have done something similar! Do you have an leaking issues? Or does it stay dry during heavy rains and winter?

No leaking issues as of yet winter or summer. I have it insulated with 2" of Styrofoam (more against the heat than the cold). I also have an inner hardware cloth screen door recently installed I leave open most days summer and winter is my plan.

So, this is my first year raising chickens, and boy! It has been interesting. My neighbors were going to throw away this old 12x8 metal shed in the spring and I gladly took it off their hands to turn into a coop. I had no floor, but we sat it on a concrete pad, keep the chickens safe and secure- that is, from everything except water!

That stupid thing floods every time it rains... I have cleaned and caulked and cleaned and sprayed and tried everything under the sun to fix the gaps between the metal and concrete but it still leaks. Soooo, I broke down and went to buy the wood to make a new, REAL floor for my coop. I cannot wait until we have it done!!

I am very much looking forward to a clean and DRY coop, but probably not has much as my girls are
wink.png
I am also going to make a new door and add some windows and vents, if time/money allows. I cannot tell you guys how excited I am to have a like-new coop after a couple weeks
big_smile.png

What have you all done to renovate and update your coop? Any suggestions or ideas??
You need to figure out where the water is coming from and fix it.

You can put a wood floor in there but there will still be water underneath that wood floor, which will continue to keep high humidity in the coop, decrease the life of the brand new wood floor and create a fine place for mold and mildew to grow.

Rodents love to live under a wood floor too.

Maybe your coop is in a bit of a depression and water is pooling around it.
Elevate your coop floor the height of one cinder block when you complete your wood floor.
I would think that may elevate most of your wet floor issues inside. It may also give your birds a shady spot to dust bathe under in the summer months.

Last edited:
You need to figure out where the water is coming from and fix it.

You can put a wood floor in there but there will still be water underneath that wood floor, which will continue to keep high humidity in the coop, decrease the life of the brand new wood floor and create a fine place for mold and mildew to grow.

Rodents love to live under a wood floor too.
Agreed. Best of luck!

I am going to build a frame atop of four corner blocks. Trist me! This baby needs elevated. That is why I am doing it this way. It will have a 8 inch "crawl space" ehen done. I will post pics. Should be done next week :D cannot wait!

Working on the floor today! Worked twelve hour night shift last night, got up at one, already have the ten thousand pound shed moved out of the way, but also have concrete pad cleaned and ready to start cutting and screwing frame together. Tomorrow, I will have a new, DRY, floor :) cannot wait!!!

Back
Top Bottom