old, nasty, dead chicken run and new chicks? Fix?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Roosteroops, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    We will be receiving 10 pullets soon. Our chicken run was just recently used for 4 to 8 hens over the last 5 years or so. The run is "dead"; no worms, no grass, no weeds. I dug and turned over the soil. When the pullets are old enough (and we catch the fox and get the electric dog (aka: mass murderer) collar working again! ....) we will be letting the new 10 pullets roam the woods and field most of the day.
    1) So - my question is: do I leave the run alone - try to restore it to a healthy PH? Do I throw sand and DE down? Will baby chicks be okay in an old run?
    Thanks!!

2. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If it were me and I had the set up you do I'd probably go with sand in the run, then allow the free ranging once you get the dog collar in working order, etc.

3. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    You could add to the run and bring it back to life. Dump grass, dead leaves and other yard clippings in it. Add garden scraps, kitchen scraps... create a layer of compost and let the chicks turn it. This will bring the insects back and give the chicks plenty to do and supply added protein to their diet. It will also keep them out of the mud when it rains.

4. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    DE will kill the good bugs.

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    DE will kill insects by dehydration. But you have to get the DE on the insect, so crawling insects are better targets.

Adding sand to the run will improve its drainage and facilitate any turning over of vegetative matter.

I don't know about the pH of the soil. I would let nature care for that.

Chris

6. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    Check out "the deep litter method".

7. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    Can I ask what you mean by that? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by