Old/New Member

cr8zychicnlady

Chirping
Aug 4, 2015
Oregon
Hello, I've been using this site for some time but have never gotten around to posting anything. I live in north central Oregon at the north foot of Mt. Hood where the weather is one extreme or the other. I'm "back" to raising chickens after a long hiatus and swearing I would never have them again. I grew up with chickens of all kinds.....we had bantams that roamed free and roosted in trees (Mom always loved them for keeping slugs and earwigs out of the garden), the meat chickens and the layers. Now I just have some nice heritage breeds of layers and the inevitable cross because of a persistent broody Australorp. My interest is heavy layers, cold hardy and larger breeds. I find the larger cold hardy breeds aren't as susceptible to predators like hawks if they are mature. The predators I have the most problem with are raccoons, coyotes, bobcat, occasionally a juvenile bald eagle and my neighbor has lost two to a juvenile owl. I live near a river, a stream and forest land so there's plenty to watch for.

byc1-chicken-feed1.gif

Hello there fellow Oregonian! Time for a proper welcome! Hope you decide to stay active, I'm sure we'd all love to hear more about your flock and share our experiences.
Beautiful country out where your are... love your avatar by the way! Did you take that pic of Mt. Hood yourself? Glad you got back into raising chickens again. What ever made you think you could live without them? :lau

Best wishes,
Stephanie

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Getting eggs is one of the best aspects of chicken keeping. A cold hardy breed is necessary in extreme cold weather conditions as well. Welcome back to chickens! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom