Old Playhouse to Hen House :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by l1sagayl3, Apr 3, 2018.

1. l1sagayl3

l1sagayl3 In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2018
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Before we leaned all about chicken math, I ordered a coop kit from amazon thinking we’d only have 3 hens. Well now we have 7 and there’s just no way they’ll all for comfortably. Because they will free range during the day and sleep in their coop at night, we really didn’t need something huge.

I found an old playhouse for free on a local Buy Nothing group and am currently in the process of converting it. It’s not quite done yet but I did want to go ahead and get a thread started for it!

A couple of disclaimers:
    We used Rustoleum 2x because it claimed to bond to plastic but, we have had a few places it’s scratched off. We also live in Oklahoma so the weather here is wild and we can experience all 4 seasons in a week so there are no promises on how long it will take for me to get it outside and assembled.

Before: A45CA418-61EB-4315-AD93-428AA35FE342.jpeg

After painting and attaching hardware cloth to doors & windows:
    2CBC9319-C1BD-441C-9414-EBB41D46FA7B.jpeg

I still need to get locks for the shutters/door, find a cute little door knob and figure out what to do for flooring and put in a roosting bar/nesting boxes.

More to come in the coming weeks!

2. Angeline1978

Angeline1978 Songster

May 22, 2016
    Indiana
    That is awesome! Great idea!! Definitely show us more as it gets done.

VyeFye and l1sagayl3 like this.
  3. chickie22

chickie22 Chirping

Mar 1, 2018
    New York
    Cute!

VyeFye likes this.
  4. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    How did you add ventilation? Is your coop finished?

VyeFye likes this.
  5. JDN

JDN Songster

Feb 28, 2018
    Raleigh NC
    She wouldn't need to. She just put HC on the doors and windows.

VyeFye likes this.
  6. l1sagayl3

l1sagayl3 In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2018
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Yes, this is correct! I just put hardware cloth over the doors and windows! It is done! And it works perfectly for us. They free range during the day, so this is just a sleeping spot. We just used a slide lock on the door.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg

7. Great job! :clapIt's super cute.

I have a Victorian playhouse for my kids...and I fantasize sometimes about the day I can evict them and move some chickens into it haha. Kids in a tiny house are adorable but chickens in one are just beyond! :love

VyeFye likes this.
  8. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Ok. Because I modded a plastic playhouse for my ducks. I am having rain issues. I left a gap at the top for ventilation. The side windows are open, but I made overhangs to keep the rain out of those windows. How does it not rain in if you have it totally open? My ducks don't mind so much, but if I had chickens in there, they might. ;)
    My playhouse is different than yours, but has similar windows.

9. VyeFye

VyeFye Songster

Nov 7, 2018
    Lancaster, CA
    I don't understand why you left a gap in the roof if you have windows? Would the windows not provide adequate ventilation? They are not a glass/plastic window, just open, correct?

10. VyeFye

VyeFye Songster

Nov 7, 2018
    Lancaster, CA
    I asked my daughter if we could use hers for chickens and she said no. She's almost 4. I'll try again next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: