Old Playhouse to Hen House :)

l1sagayl3

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2018
Broken Arrow, OK
Before we leaned all about chicken math, I ordered a coop kit from amazon thinking we’d only have 3 hens. Well now we have 7 and there’s just no way they’ll all for comfortably. Because they will free range during the day and sleep in their coop at night, we really didn’t need something huge.

I found an old playhouse for free on a local Buy Nothing group and am currently in the process of converting it. It’s not quite done yet but I did want to go ahead and get a thread started for it!

A couple of disclaimers:
We used Rustoleum 2x because it claimed to bond to plastic but, we have had a few places it’s scratched off. We also live in Oklahoma so the weather here is wild and we can experience all 4 seasons in a week so there are no promises on how long it will take for me to get it outside and assembled.

Before: A45CA418-61EB-4315-AD93-428AA35FE342.jpeg

After painting and attaching hardware cloth to doors & windows:
2CBC9319-C1BD-441C-9414-EBB41D46FA7B.jpeg

I still need to get locks for the shutters/door, find a cute little door knob and figure out what to do for flooring and put in a roosting bar/nesting boxes.

More to come in the coming weeks!

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
Ok. Because I modded a plastic playhouse for my ducks. I am having rain issues. I left a gap at the top for ventilation. The side windows are open, but I made overhangs to keep the rain out of those windows. How does it not rain in if you have it totally open? My ducks don't mind so much, but if I had chickens in there, they might. ;)
My playhouse is different than yours, but has similar windows.

VyeFye

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
Lancaster, CA
Ok. Because I modded a plastic playhouse for my ducks. I am having rain issues. I left a gap at the top for ventilation. The side windows are open, but I made overhangs to keep the rain out of those windows. How does it not rain in if you have it totally open? My ducks don't mind so much, but if I had chickens in there, they might. ;)
My playhouse is different than yours, but has similar windows.
I don't understand why you left a gap in the roof if you have windows? Would the windows not provide adequate ventilation? They are not a glass/plastic window, just open, correct?

VyeFye

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
Lancaster, CA
Great job! :clapIt's super cute.

I have a Victorian playhouse for my kids...and I fantasize sometimes about the day I can evict them and move some chickens into it haha. Kids in a tiny house are adorable but chickens in one are just beyond! :love
I asked my daughter if we could use hers for chickens and she said no. She's almost 4. I'll try again next year.

Top Bottom