old recipes needed for: Burnt Sugar Cake; candied sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Carolyn, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    My hubby talks about a Burnt Sugar Cake his Mom used to make. I got a recipe off the net and the cake was ok but I tried to use his mom's caramel fudge recipe for frosting like she did and I didn't get it right. He also says she made great candied sweet potatos by carmalizing the sugar first then adding the sliced potatoes.

I need some recipes and some advice from someone who has experience carmalizing white sugar. I can do that just fine but it is the adding a liquid to it afterwards and getting it into a form that is not a gobby mess where I mess up.

I'm not really looking for internet recipes but old family favorites.

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    never heard of it but it sounds really good, hope you find it and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
  4. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Try this, it is my favorite blog to read daily. When I saw your post I knew that Suzanne had the exact thing you need!

http://suzannemcminn.com/blog/2008/09/05/old-time-burnt-sugar-cake/

Actually my chickens are only months ahead of hers. Her recipes (reciepts) are the best. Try grandmother's bread too. LOL Watch out for Sparticus the banty roo!

Edited because my speeling is baddd!

But really, you should read her posts, she is so funny! And lives in the farmnouse of my dreams - except for the road after the stream....Pretty sure snow shoes would be part of my life there....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks Linda and Country Boy. They say pictures are worth a thousand words and this case that is true again. I think the one on Suzanne's site is probably the one he is talking about. (and no, I could not pass up Grandmother's Bread)

6. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Did Suzanne's recipe work? How about that bread!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by