Old Red Stars

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluck cluck here, May 14, 2008.

1. cluck cluck here

cluck cluck here New Egg

May 4, 2008
    What should I do with my 2 year old Red Stars that I don't think are laying much anymore? Are they worth butchering? We got them already grown this spring along with some one year olds that seem to be laying well. Thanks!

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Two year olds-really?! I guess we never pay much attention to how much our chickens lay. We have a 14 year old hen who hasn't layed for some time. Seems like you could make soup out of a 2 year old-maybe?

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Could they be going through a molt? I would think a 2 yr olds would still be laying, I think I would give them some more time before I did something with them, after all they have given you eggs. JMHO

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    How is the feathering?Do they look sorta ragged?If so they are molting and should start laying again soon.

5. cluck cluck here

cluck cluck here New Egg

May 4, 2008
    Thanks to all...I don't think they are molting, but I will check again. And I will also try to find some info on how to check to see if they are indeed laying. How long should I expect them to lay? I just thought all hens only lay for about two years.

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    No hon, some lay for yrs. one person on here has a 14 yr old hen that she gets an egg from every now and then. Just give them some time. They should pick back up with warmer weather starting.

7. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    always use the old hens for soup stock. None finer.

After the eggs get smaller and less frequent, it is time to butcher for soup stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by