Old rooster, “Kelly green” poop

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
Louis XIV, an 8-year-old BO rooster, had some Kelly green poop in his corner this morning. It was really bright green!

He does seem a little thinner. And also a little “down,” although he just lost his 9-year-old mate this week, so that may have something to do with it.

We feed them Layena flockraiser crumbles and the other chickens and ducks seem to be fine. We use pine shavings for bedding—always have.

I tried some of the links but didn’t find anything especially helpful. Will google chicken poop and see what happens.

Okay. On Fresh Eggs Daily, I found a picture of the poop. The possible causes listed were internal parasites, Mareks disease, or avian flu. Also possibly related to a diet high in greens, weeds, or vegetables. They eat a lot of forage, but I’ve never seen this poop before (11 years of chickens), so I’m going to start with “internal parasites.”

Q: how long should I treat for IP before moving on to the more serious dx? Or is this a situation where I SHOULD sound the alarm right away?

Bright green poops can also be from not eating. Can you post a picture of the droppings? There are some people on here who are good at looking at them to see what is wrong. Do you have a vet that will do a fecal test for you to check for parasites? At his age and not being sure what is going on I would be reluctant to automatically suggest worming unless you know he has them, worming a bird that is sick with something else is not necessarily a good idea, it can be hard on them. At 8 years old you could be looking at something age related like an organ failure also. Have you checked his crop to make sure it's functioning properly? If you do decide to worm, if that's the issue he should start looking better in a few days. Mine usually perk up within 48 hours, often in 24. If you don't get a fecal then I would use a broad spectrum wormer like albendazole (Valbazen) or Safeguard (fenbendazole).
Here are some more droppings pics, which may help:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0

I haven’t seen any poops exactly like Louis’ despite looking at waaaaaaayy more poop than I’d like. I can’t post a photo, but I’ll say it was like thick applesauce in consistency, not really shaped—but not liquid, either. And REALLY bright green (but not yellowish-green at all). If it were my kid, I’d say it came from too many green cupcakes. I’m giving the coop a good clean-out and putting down some DE with the shavings. And adding a little Rooster Booster to his feed tonight.

What do you think putting down DE in your coop will do?

Back
Top Bottom