1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old rooster falling down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spoiledbirds, Oct 29, 2010.

1. spoiledbirds

spoiledbirds New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    NH
    My rooster is about 6 years old. He seems to lose his balance when walking - looks like he is drunk. He is eating and drinking and otherwise seems ok except he is holding his tail feathers lower to the ground and occasionally will even fall foward when eating. Any suggestions? He is with 3 hens who are about 7 months old and very healthy. He is eating layer mash, cracked corn, fresh veggies and has grit and crushed oyster shells available to him as well. Is he old for a rooster? What is their average life span? Anything I can do to help him? Thanks in advance for answering all these questions!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, he's getting along in years. A chicken can live up to 20 years but usually it is more like 8 or 10, from what I have read.

Two things I would do. One is supplement his protein. People feed roosters layer feed all the time, but it is really a little short on protein for them. Cracked corn and veggies are fine for treats but do not supply much protein. He doesn't need the oyster shell, for sure, but he probably isn't eating any. The other is worming. Unless you have them on a regular worming program, I would worm the whole flock. Wazine, then 2 or 3 weeks later, a stronger agent like ivomectin. Here is a recent thread about worming, but there is lots of info about it on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=414733

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by