1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Old rooster meets young hens...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fopzuu, Oct 3, 2007.

1. fopzuu

fopzuu In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2007
    Maryland
    Just curious...I recently bought two pullets-they are 5-maybe 6 months old. They are not laying yet. So, my question is ...How long should I wait until I put them in with my rooster? He is at least two years old. They had a meet and greet today and he wasn't being aggressive....but the hens , after a couple minutes, started to run away from him. So I separated them again...Just wondering how long I should wait?
    Thanks

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Songster

Well, you are supposed to quarantine new birds for a month. After that they should be old enough and be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2007
  3. fopzuu

fopzuu In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2007
    Maryland
    That makes sense...(I am very new to this) So I won't feel bad about keeping them apart, Thanks.
    I hope their five minute interaction yesterday won't do the roo any harm:/

4. bigzio

bigzio Crowing 11 Years

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Keep an eye on your roo when he is back with the pullets. Usually a roo can service 10 to 14 hens with no letting up. I would see to it he isn't being to agressive with only 2 women![​IMG]

bigzio

5. fopzuu

fopzuu In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks:) He used to run with three hens before he became ours...BTW, do roosters let up at all as they age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: