Old Roosters

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fennel, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Fennel

Fennel Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    I have some ancient chickens, probably 13+ years old now, that I raised from chicks. I had one little Japanese bantam who's eyes just started closing, and he finally just gave up on keeping them open. I could give him water, but couldn't make him eat. I just figured it was his time. Now, I have a golden Seabright that is doing the same thing. This is not showing up in any of the other old birds, or the young laying hens. At least not yet.

Any ideas?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Time never stops. It has caught up wit your chickens also. I also keep my chickens for looooooong time. My current is 11 years old, and my oldest now gone went for 13 years. It was a silver seabright. I know that when you are attached to them as I am, it is never a good time to see them leave.
    WISHING YOU BEST.... [​IMG]

Edit...... Forgot to [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Mercy, that's some older chickens. I rarely ever keep mine past 2 years old---have kept some to 3. I usually have 20, to 50 in the flock so when I raise the new chicks to laying age I sell the older ones----I guess in a way I never have to see them get old and watch them die.

What I do if I have a sick chicken is look it over and if I feel its just sick I get the tylan50- and doctor it for a few days. I make sure it is eating even if I have to wet the food down with warm water and make a gravy and ease it into its mouth with a syringe---needle removed. I also will put it on a warm heating pad(older one that stays on all the time)/bed if I feel it needs it. I do what I can and I save a lot more than I loose, But I am working with 1 to 3 yr olds most of the time. Good Luck

4. Fennel

Fennel Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    Yes, we've been thru a lot together. They've been moved several times, the last from Calif. back to KY. Spent a small fortune doing that.....

5. Fennel

Fennel Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    Update:
    The little Seabright looks like he's coming back, although can't tell how much vision he has. He is eating. But now Fennel, (yes, that's my user name and his picture), is doing the same thing. Both eyes squeezed shut. This is so weird. It must be something contagious, since this is my third old rooster in two weeks to come up with it, but the young laying hens are fine (knock on wood).

I don't really see anything on google about it. Any other ideas? Fennel is my all time favorite little rooster. My two vets only do small animal, and livestock.

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Did you give the Seabright any kind of medication?

7. Fennel

Fennel Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    No.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by