1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old school chicken house, now repurposed.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cutandfit, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Cutandfit

Cutandfit Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2014
    Champaign County, IL
    [​IMG]

I wanted to share some pics of my old chicken house. Our home was built in 1910, not sure of the age of this old shed, but it's built with full size, rough cut lumber, just like the house, possibly even from leftover lumber. Of all the old barns and corn cribs originally on the property, along with the house, this is the only remaining original structure and I cannot bring myself to tear it down so it has had some recent repairs and is now a tool shed.
    I raised 50 hens in it back in the late 70's as an FFA project. After I graduated and "left the nest", Dad removed the wire floor sections and filled the dropping pit with gravel so it could be used to store lawn and garden equipment. My wife and I purchased the property from my parents 7 years ago. The big maple tree started to heave the wall out of the ground, it was a bad tree (should have never been allowed to propagate) so we removed it a couple of years ago and I repaired the wall and grubbed out as much of the root as I could. Next year, after I build our new coop I will replace the roof panels and doors.
    Please feel free to share pics of your old coops.
    http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg471/Leadfoot98/f003.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. Cutandfit

Oct 10, 2014
    Champaign County, IL
    ...cant seem to get the pics to appear despite posting them the same way I do in other forums.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  4. Cutandfit

Oct 10, 2014
    Champaign County, IL
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice job with the chicken house. It looks like a great location.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by