1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old School flock for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by muddylilly, Jun 4, 2011.

1. muddylilly

muddylilly Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Can't bear to raise the cornish X again. Just my preference. Anyone keeping a flock with a rooster......White Plymouth Rock or Delaware? Wondering about temperament of the two breeds and broodiness comparatively. Thinking 10-12 hens and a rooster to keep me in eggs and meat. So far I've been keeping 5 or 6 hens for eggs, and then raising 50+ cornish once a year for the freezer separately. Just trying to streamline. Any thoughts appreciated [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Both can go broody but don't depend on them doing enough to keep you in meat. Get an incubator.

You probably will not need more hens than you have now. You'll find yourself overflowing in eggs. I use a Hovabator 1588 and hatch two batches a year. That keeps me in plenty of meat birds. If 50 a year is what you want, you can easily do that with the 1588.

Another option is to get a few Silkies or Cochin, known to go broody a lot, instead of extra meat bird egg layers. You don't have any control over when they go broody and if they wil raise enough meat birds for you, but it could work. One possible problem is that many Silkies are pretty small. They cannot hatch many eggs at one time.

I love it when a hen goes broody, but I depend on my incubator for enough meat birds.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by