Old school tried and true solutions to most threats to your flock. Cheap and easy!

Righteous Rstr

Songster
9 Years
Jul 9, 2013
Osteen Florida
The following may disturb the faint of heart STOP HERE.
Now as the rest have real life issues to solve,these solutions
are 100% time tested.The day you wake to decapitated birds
an Opossum is the culprit, Raccoons will remove the bird and
eat it near water if possible.They much like snakes, prefer to
eat eggs. Rats will take feed, peeps, eggs, even a small bird!
My first and most important threat are snakes. All eat mice,
peeps, eggs and here in FL 4 species can kill your child,hens
or you ! Unfortunately usually you only catch them in the act !
Never fear, Grannies "snake mace" (carb cleaner spray) sits
right on top of my nesting boxes well out of reach by little kids.
TIP if you install the red straw taped to the can it will stream
12'+ !! It will completely disable the snake till you can find a
rake or shovel to decapitate it (important) if you do not kill it
even though it's blinded and writhing from "liquid fire" it can
still strike ! NOTE do not get any where nests or feed are!!
Nocturnal predators; the next night after the carnage above
9/10 times the offending critter will return for a free meal as
they perceive it.
Grannies never-fail trick;
all 3 scavengers listed share an irresistible sweet tooth !
Take an intact trash can or barrel that
will hold water(important) ,place it as close to the scene of
the crime as you can. Next fill it half way up with water, at
least 22 inches deep. Find a small soup can, drill or poke 2
holes at the very top exactly opposite one another. Take a
piece of baling wire (I prefer aluminum fencing type) wrap
in the center to form a loop big enough to slide a 2 inch
branch at least a foot longer than the barrel is wide.1x2 is
the best, slide wire to the center thread the ends in the can
so it hangs about 8" below the board. Fill the can with pnut
butter and a ring ding. The offender smelling the bait will try
to reach down after "walking the plank" fall in almost always
drown ! In 50 years I've seen this work 99/100 times, even 2
Foxes and a weasel got out-foxed!! They didn't drown but it
got them anyway. TIP; may have to lay a 2"x6" ramp as they
will be cautious and not jump. If 1st nite fails switch bait. I know
this method is not PC.Think of it as a tidy, ez clean up rat trap!!
To you trap and release folks, if you don't go at least 40 miles
Raccoons will eventually find their way back or worse decimate
somebody Else's food supply. The best thing about this method
for me is I don't care for blood except for culling time then at the
very least my freezer gets full. Most people who use live traps
have to dispatch the thing or waste tax dollars to call the city.
NOTE; IF YOU EVER SEE ONE IN DAYTIME BEWARE ! That
is often a rabid animal. Good luck. RR

Last edited:
You do realize that "grannies snake mace" will do much worse things to your chickens than the snake itself will.

I use pretty good common sense and appreciate that you mentioned that part as I
forgot .I don't know where you live but here we take snake bites pretty seriously !!
Personally I have been lucky so far in ten years I've lost at least 25 animals my dog
included. As a reference tool google Rattle snake bites, both treated immediately
and ones that were not. You'll want to throw up on either. My best friend lost a pony
and the vet got there less than an hour after the bite! No joke we keep an eye out
as they pop up just about anywhere including inside homes. I'm all ears if you have
another method. RR

Sparrows input sparked a creative solution ! Again not for the faint of heart, I called an old Friend who used to
hunt snakes on my back forty ! His side job is keeping and "milking venom" which is incredibly expensive. It
is refined into anti-venom which is in very high demand because only the certified insane people can supply
it. Many times he has located and captured several venomous breeds in my presence from my land, even the
most deadly Coral snake. Actually if memory serves one morning long ago, drinking my morning Joe one came
out from under my porch to sun itself ! I was younger and dumber so fetching a plastic stall rake I scooped it
into a empty trash can secured the lid and called him. Only after he got off duty that afternoon as he easily
lifted it out with that hook thing did I learn that it was the breed responsible for almost all human fatalities in FL!
They are brightly colored ringed skin that appeals to small children ,they pick them up and play with them !
From that day to this they get killed then identified, as luck would have it this very day my brooder was infil-
trated by a very small blackish one with blue stripes head to tail. Since he had his mouth full of a fresh peep I
got my welding gloves and he's digesting my peep in a large glass jar (yes it has holes poked in the lid) was
thinking about Sparrows comment and my reply just before this ! On my boys soul this is true. Karma???

Since we all have and love a snakes favorite meal, eggs/peeps. What if those who can outfit your brooder with
the tools to safely capture and encase snakes ? There are two obvious reasons one that snake will never come
back two if it is a venomous species we can help every victim by adding to the donor pool ! Oh yes, if one were
so inclined the milker market is quite lucrative as I understand.
4 winners here;
#1 peeps live.
#2 snake is gone maybe even helps save some lives!
#3 your phobia is cured
#4 you get feed $
Thanks Sparrow and of course Granny who did her best to create the shortage! RIP. I think one of those cable
in a pipe things dog catchers use would be easy to make with a long PVC pipe, "a 10' pole" couldn't resist. RR

These two tools are the easiest and safest way to handle venomous snakes, or any snakes for that matter. The top is called a snake hook, which you just slide under the snake mid-body and can move it easily that way, and the bottom in snake tongs, with a grabbing mechanism on the end for faster/wigglier snakes like Rattlesnakes and Racers. Many cost just about as much as it would cost to make/purchase ineffective snake repellents, and they last forever. This is THE safest way to deal with snakes, as these tools keep them well away from your body!

My hubby's pistol works just fine for me. I'm sorry, I'm not going to get that close to a venomous snake with a pole. To each his own. The 4+ foot rattlesnake we found in the baby pen last winter was longer than those poles, plus being beginners, we would have to convince him to stay still while we hooked him or grabbed him. Nope, a bullet through his head did the job safely.

My hubby's pistol works just fine for me. I'm sorry, I'm not going to get that close to a venomous snake with a pole. To each his own. The 4+ foot rattlesnake we found in the baby pen last winter was longer than those poles, plus being beginners, we would have to convince him to stay still while we hooked him or grabbed him. Nope, a bullet through his head did the job safely.
Actually, those tools are used by the most experienced herpetologist around the world to handle some of the most dangerous snakes. I use them when handling venomous or really nasty snakes. They do work incredibly well, and a longer version combined with the length of your arm will keep the snake well away from your body/legs. Unless you live in Thailand and are dealing with King Cobras and Reticulated Pythons, that is. lol

And, no, moth balls do not repel snakes, as I explained in the other topic.

Okay anyone for a solution for predator birds
Other than covering Ur cool them? Got lots of crows, hawks and eagles in our area and don't have all day to sit there and chase em away.

To Wildsam, predatory raptors are the bain of ALL free-range birds,including Owls. As most don't have all day to watch for these skilled hunters,you can at least get
your act together ! That being said I've had to just realize everything eats chicken, if they lived a happy carefree life they go easier. Personally I do keep an old rusty shotgun in my barn I gave up a long time ago with Raptors ,I will say this on more than a few occasions they have flown by with;snakes,fish,small mammals, (not always field mice) so they are pretty much safe from me. Just tell yourself your hen could have spent 18 mo. in a cage before being snatched by it's feet and beheaded ! Free rangers like mine develop a little chicken community they are therapy for me as on occasion I'll just take a few minutes to watch. The Hawk thing, just try to accept it or cage your birds. Age old Q. Liberty or security? "swap one for the other then you have neither" Ben Franklin 1778. Everything dies ,not everything truly lives so ponder it well my friend Wildsam. RR

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom