Old Sumatra?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Alycia, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    My Black Sumatra rooster is getting white feathers! I am not sure how old he is as I just got him a summer or two ago as an adult from VT. What does this white feathering mean?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It means he's getting old. Not uncommon for black birds to get some white feathers as they age.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Not unusual at all for them to get some white feathers after a molt.
    Sometimes a hen will get some after sitting a clutch. I've been told stress can also cause white feathers to grow in-kinda like it does with us humans. [​IMG]
    Are the feathers all white or just the tips?

4. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    Just the tips are turning white!

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It's no big deal-next molt, he may or may not have the same issue.
    It all depends on the birds-lots of times you will find these stray white feathers/white tipped feathers on Sumatras-doesn't mean they are old(although he could be).

6. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    All my black chickens get white feathers when they molt

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    as my black ducks get older they get more white feathers....but I don't know if this holds true for chickens. if it was age the whole feather should turn white correct?

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have had chickens who have had thier feathers pulled out by other mean chickens and the new ones grew in white. They seem to molt back out to the original color after awhile. I can see where it is growing out black again on my black hen (back of the neck)... and the tips are white. She has black roots LOL!

9. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    Hmmm I wonder. My mother noticed it, as I am 12 hours away from home right now in college. If I can, I'll take a look at it when I'm home for Thanksgiving and maybe post picture. She says it doesn't look like regular old molting.

Thanks guys for your help! Interesting stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by