old tatty feathers

jaqueelee

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Brentwood
one of my hens is a hybrid rir that i had from a neighbour whose entire flock was wiped out by a fox. this hen was badly injured and they didnt think she would survive but she did. She has been with my hens through the winter and it is now well into summer, but with the exception of the feathers on her head her feathers are very dry and tatty looking with no shine. could this be the shock of what happened to her or is there another reason. my father breeds canaries and he mentioned feathermite... anyone heard of this in chickens? the rest of my flock are fine and healthy with no signs of mites or lice.. she is otherwise healthy enough she just looks really rough - her comb is red and she eats well. any help much appreciated

The first link has pictures that help identify common mites and lice. The second has a bit of info on different types of mites and may be the one you are looking for. I'd think if one has mites or lice, they all need to be treated.

Ohio State – Mites and Lice
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

West Virginia – Mites and Lice
http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pubs/livepoul/pfs23.pdf

It sounds to me like she may have skipped a molt last winter. Maybe she was a pullet that had her last juvenile molt fairly late in the year and has not yet had an adult molt. Maybe she was in her molt when the attack occurred and the feathers that grew back right after the attack while she was recovering were messed up. Or a chicken that is wormed with certain products while molting can have deformed feathers come back in. If she is laying OK and otherwise healthy, I would not overthink it or worry too much.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck!

thanks for the advice - think i will just wait and see as you said - she seems fine other than the rough feathers. all my other hens are healthy so dont think it can be lice mites etc. thanks again:)

Back
Top Bottom