old thread, new question: bird not improved, cull it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Niss, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    a bar rock reaching the piont of lay has stopped moving. On Sunday she was alert and eating when given food. No obvious injury. Found her on the ground outside. Today she is somewhat alert. She has moved minimally on her own and tollorates being held/petted/moved well. I found her butt paisted up with greenish yellow, gritty, stinky poo. So she got a lukewarm bath. No lice. Resently dewormed.

What now? The rest of the flock seems okay, but about a month ago a 3 yr old hen died in less than 24 hours from unknow cause.

Please advise!

edit--This am there is little change. Should I pick up antibiotics? Cull her?
    I like this one and last night another named chick didn't make it in to the coop. I'm feeling very discuraged. I am considering doing a large flock reduction...
    I will talk to the county cooperative today but was hoping to get some advice before work this morning.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Please help me!
    She is still alive, but less interested in food. She is holding her head up. Her butt was poopy again--greenish, gritty, dot of blood.

I gave her Sulmet and water. Should I treat the whole flock? Does it sound bactrial? I gave them yogurt, figured it can't hurt.

3. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear this. Had she stopped laying before she got sick or did she lay any shell-less or strange eggs? Since I just had a hen with internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis, it's always my first guess now.

4. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't think she has layed yet, but I can't be sure. She is getting close, but she is still small for a BR about kleenex box sized.

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh I don't know what it could be but hope someone else comes along who does...

6. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    do I cull this chicken?
    after treating chicken with sulmet it has not improved. first color improved but now she's washed out. is still eating and drinking minimally. she leans to 1 side and is holding the right wing out an odd angle, it feels normal though. I noticed tonight she is notably lighter than her same age sister.

is it more humane to call her now???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by