1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

old time remedies for good egg-laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Taylor, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    post some good remedies that keep chickens laying year round. Love 2 hear of some

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Putting artificial light in the coop will keep them laying. Plenty of articles around about it. I don't think there is any other way to do it.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I keep hearing about crushed red pepper being all the rage for keeping them laying in the winter, or jump starting them.

Seems stupid to me. I have not seen the need to even try it. [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    get hens from strong lines, proven producers of good layers. Sex links, RIR, Leghorns, etc...

Feed them well, keep them free from parasites, dry and out of drafts. Pour the feed to them and scrape up the poop. That's about it.

5. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Calf Manna aka Protein Boost.... I used Calf Manna as their only food source for two weeks and 10 days later they all started laying... and they wont stop..... I think these breeds are winter hardy also.... great layers.... RIR- BA- BO and even the EE! Woo hoo...

6. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Warm weather

7. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    This random chicken lady customer at the feed store said to used the artificial light as mentioned above and cat food for keeping them laying or getting them to start in the winter. Ehh... I dunno, the cat food thing I've heard about before but none of my chooks lay and I've been doing that for over a month now. I don't add a lot though and everyone will have different results. These ladies do like it though. They pick through and get at the random pieces.

8. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    The Calf manna did actually work ...... just fyi........

9. jqs birds

jqs birds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    A friend told me he uses warm water when the weather gets cold to keep them laying in the winter.
    I never tried it but he swears by it.

10. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I tried the catfood yesterday.. just tossed a handful out there and they ate it up! And today I got my first two green eggs, and one from my trusty light brahma [​IMG]

I also added a timed light about a week ago.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by