old tom cat UPDATE: PJ went to kitty heaven today...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Chicken People, Dec 26, 2009.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    can I give him penicillin and how much?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Can you explain what the problem is?

Is it an abscess?

3. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    yes and I think it burst because there was alot of blood so I cleaned with warm moist compress dh said looked like a cut on the lower gums or lip
    now it looks a little swollen
    I keep warm washing it but he wont let me get to close
    still eating soft foods and drinking water

4. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    i have some pen v kee can i crush one and feed him like half to help with infection? we are kinda snowed in I cant drive my piece of crap car in this snow

5. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I had an abscess under my arm as a kid and the doctors said to let it burst on its own. Well it didn't so they ended up having to lance and drain it. After that I had to stuff it with gauze for weeks so that it could heal from the inside out (so that it wouldn't fill up with fluids again). They did give me an antibiotics for it because it was an infection.

If your cat does have an infection I cannot recommend that you give him anything with out the knowledge of dosages. But you do need to get him to the vet because the infection can get into the blood and cause death.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I wouldn't. The thing about antibiotics is that unless you get the dose right you'll do more harm then good. All you really end up doing is creating a resistant strain that will be hard to get rid of.

I'd just keep a good eye on him and clean it up as much as he'll let you until you can get to the vet. Cats are prone to abcesses because they tend to heal from the outside in and so will often get pockets of infection. Depending on how large the affected area is you may want to use a warm washcloth on it a couple of times a day to keep it from forming a scab. That will help keep another abcess from forming.

7. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Also putting a warm rag on it will draw any pus that is in the pocket out.

8. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I think if the abscess has already burst and ol' Tom is eating and drinking he may be ok for a couple of days til you can get to the vet. Bathing it in a saline solution will help if he'll allow it. Can you make a call to the vet and say you're stuck and home but have the meds, and get advice on how much to give him? Other than that I would call someone who regularly does cat rescues. They would certainly know how much to give and how often.

9. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Yes I am calling a good friend in the morning that has helped him before when he ran away and came back needing a cut on ear doctored..maybe she will make a home visit she does have 4 wheel drive
    I could pay with fresh eggs! lol!
    this Tom cat is old like 14 years he was neutered late in life and has led a good life so I am sorry to say he may be close to his end of life experience and if so will truly be missed...Pj has been a great Tom Cat!
    Edited because I had too many drinks of strawberry koolaid [​IMG] tonight! Happy birthday dh...I love you!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  10. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Okay so I am taking him to the vet at two oclock today...my DS is paying the bill and I will have to pay him back! Yep I am that broke after Christmas! They are charging 35 for the visit and will let us know what course of action to take...if vet recommends putting him down we will...DS is taking this hard he loves this cat! I have estimates of 300 to 400 for dental services on a cat that probably wont live very long anyways! I could see using the money in better ways like my dental needs but I will do what I can for this old member of our family!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by