Old truck for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WestKnollAmy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have seen some wonderful ideas on here for coops. Please help out my extremely unimaginative mind.[​IMG]

We have an old '73 GMC truck down by our barn I thought I might could use as a coop. The bed has been "remodeled" and is all wood with the entire tailgate coming off. The flat tires are on the ground.
    The cab is interesting in a way, it has all the windows but would I open the door during the day to let them out in a run or roll down the window? LOL Should I take out the seat and put in a ladder roost?
    In the summer it would be too hot to leave them in the cab during the day. Should I just fence around the entire cab or let those be my free range chickens?
    I have been beating my brains out over this and just can't get any good ideas for this old truck. Maybe just have the nasty thing hauled away!
    Please help![​IMG]

2. steven11788

steven11788 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    hickory Nc
    that would be interesting to seel if have a grinder or a certain type of saw could cut the top off and ummm..... well now you got me thinking.. ewh im excited for you ..lol [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hauled away sounds like a good idea to me [​IMG]

The three things I'd worry about, in terms of a coop conversion, would be a) any fluids that might've been left in the engine having leaked out and contaminated the ground that your chickens would be scratchin' in (probably not a huge worry), b) the metal cab getting hot during the day pretty much *any* time of year, and too cold at night in winter; and biggest worry of all, c) how on earth are you going to predator-proof it. Between rusty bits where a predator could weasel in, and the ventilation etc system, I just do not think you could make it secure at all, unless it were in a massively predator-secure run which would probably cost a whole big lot more to make than a moderately predator-secure run with an actual (non vehicle conversion) coop [​IMG]

Some things, just 'cuz you can in principle do them doesn't mean they're worth doing, in terms of what you get in the end for what you put into doing 'em [​IMG] JMHO of course.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  4. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    With the prices that people are paying for junk cars/trucks etc right now. You could scrap it and have the money to buy what you want? Good idea?

5. steven11788

steven11788 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    hickory Nc
    Quote:Chris beat me to the punch, sitting in the middle of watching of watching tv. and it hit me [​IMG] scrap meddle is high, we just sold a above ground pool and got quite a bit.. and engine fluids could make matters worse but it would be a an orginal work of art but it would be awfull to see them hurt

6. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Before you sell it for scrap take off the wood and anything else you can use on your coop.

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Okay, that is what my DH wants me to do, sell it.
    Keep the wood from the bed, since it is is very good shape and the metal pieces that might help build another coop. And use the money from the scrap to buy more hardware cloth for another coop and put it under the trees.
    The chickens already go underneath it during the day if they get hot so if it hasn't killed them yet, I wouldn't worry about it. But it would be more of an eyesore than a pretty new coop.

Thanks guys![​IMG]

8. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Just had to say I really think its funny cause:

1.) I played with the same idea @ one time.

2.) My name is Nadine.

9. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Many farmers around my area use school buses as coops, and they have so many chickens in them, and they are free to roost in trees during the day. I have no idea, unless they close them up in them tight every night, how they could be predator proof though. I like how people are telling you to get rid of the truck and build a coop. I'm a huge chicken tractor fan...you could go that route too.

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I agree, sell it. It would be pretty much impossible to clean out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by