Old Trucker New To Chickens!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RetiredTrucker, Jun 22, 2016.

1. RetiredTrucker

RetiredTrucker New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    Hello everyone! My wife and I recently moved from Arizona to a small rural property in Southeast Georgia and, now that we have settled in, are looking to get started in the wonderful world of chickens! Among the rather surprisingly large amount of usable items left behind by the previous owners are a 8x10 metal garden shed and eight 10 foot portable fence sections that I assume were once used for a dog kennel. The panels are in excellent shape (they look brand new), with all hardware. The shed is missing the doors and floor but is otherwise in good shape.

As we don't have any dogs (we're cat people) and I plan to build a much larger work building, we would like to re-purpose the shed and panels for a chicken coop/run. I have a few ideas in mind and would like to submit them to you for your comments and advice.

Based on my research it appears that ventilation is the key to using a metal shed as a coop, especially in the summer. Therefore, I plan to first raise it off the ground by several inches to allow airflow underneath. Next, I will cut several ventilation windows in the coop at floor level and at the roof-line. These will, of course, be covered with screen or wire. The door area will be mostly closed in with a small screen door in the center (re-purposed from the remains of a trashed greenhouse). A chicken "sally port" will also be included. I can also make detachable shutters for protection during inclement and winter weather.

My wife wants to start the run at the front of the coop, using five of the panels to make a run 20 feet long by 10 feet wide. I feel that we should use all the panels to make a run 30 feet long by 10 feet wide and place the coop inside the run and one end. This way we can also make use of a brand new fence wrap (the kind used on construction site fences) that was also left behind to cover a 50 foot length of the run, wrapping around the end where the coop would be. This would provide shade and act as a partial barrier to wildlife.
    Considering the number of hawks in the area, I also think I will need to build a chicken wire roof over the run and maybe add a small tarp for additional shade.

I also plan to use five gallon buckets for nesting boxes.
    That's all for now. Am I on the right track? Any advice, comments, and constructive criticisim will be appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Your ideas are good. I would add fix the coop so that it can be secured at night. Many predators will scale the dog panels and enter your coop. Good luck getting established.

3. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

:welcome I agree with sour, sounds like a good plan :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you were to make the run larger and put the coop inside the run and raise the it to around 2ft off the ground would mean that you would not lose any square footage in the run, and provide shade for your chickens to hang out. Thats the only thing that springs to mind - otherwise, I'd say your plan is a great idea.

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by