Old Vintage Shed to Coop Conversion is Almost Done..!!! (TONS of Pics)

paulandashia

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
So our conversion of our Ancient, Vintage shed to a functional chicken coop is nearly complete!

So far, the only thing we are missing inside is Nest-Boxes, Roosts, and a ladder.

The Exterior is almost done as well. Since we are in Alaska, and have to worry about more than the neighborhood dogs, but owls, bald and golden eagles, fox, wolves, coyote, bears, etc, etc... Our coops are safer when the outside area is covered with wire or netting.

Anyhow. There is another fenced in, open area to the other side if the coop that will be added to the current area (you can see it in one of the photos), making it about 3X the size it currently is.

We are waiting on the netting to arrive in the mail, so we can cover the additional area to keep the airborne predators (owls, eagles, etc) away before we open it up for the birds to use.

Anyhow. I wanted any suggestions, to see if I am missing something.

This is our first coop, so I want to make sure we get it right.
smile.png

I am sorry about the snow. It makes it hard to see.

Photo when it first started snowing. You can see the Chicken Wire, and it doesn't look like it's covered with plastic! LoL
SNOWYCOOP.jpg

The Descriptions are referred to (Left and Right) as if you were standing in front of the Coop facing it.

Side View of the Coop & covered area from the Front/Left
DSCN5948.jpg

Direct View of the Coop & covered area from the Left
DSCN5949.jpg

Side/Angle View (Left)
DSCN5950.jpg

Direct View of the Coop & covered area from the rear
DSCN5951.jpg

Direct View of the Coop & Covered Area on Right
DSCN5953.jpg

Photo of the Soon-To-Be Additional area that will be covered with a Net. This is standing near the Back on the Right, looking Right.
DSCN5952.jpg

View at the Entry Gate (Front/Left)
DSCN5944.jpg

View inside the Covered Area from the Gate.
DSCN5947.jpg

View inside the Covered Area in the Rear of the Coop.
DSCN5946.jpg

looks great always wanted to go to alaska. i would go with something stronger than chicken wire that wont keep anything out. coop looks great
lol.png

clap.gif
Very impressive work! I like how you've made the outdoor run tall enough for yourselves to get inside & walk around as you do your cleaning & maintenance/chores. Your chickens must love all that space.:c
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks guys.
I wanted to ask a question though.
I currently have 15 chicks, and 15 more on their way. I am only keeping 9 out of those 15 that are coming though. The rest are going to probably go to a friend.
Anyhow, I wanted to know how many chickens do you guys think I could keep in there comfortably?
(And don't forget about the 7 Ducks)
Also, I am going to be adding Pendesencas and Marans as well in about 2 months.
About 5-6 each.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom