Old wives tale about how to sex chicks - tell me again?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristenm1975, May 10, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have a group of straight run silkies and penedesencas and I would be delighted to make some predictions about which are males and which are females. I heard somewhere on BYC that if you hold a chick on it's back, if it's mellow its...? And if it freaks out its...? Does anyone know this one?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I heard that too, but honestly I don't see how that can be accurate. Would be nice to know how to sex them as I have 3

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Here's another one for you; Wave a hat or item over the brooder to startle them and the hens will crouch down and the males will stand up as if to guard them... [​IMG]

I have noticed that male chicks are slower to feather out in the tail area. they also have a bigger butt and feet....
    Just my experience with sexing them....

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I read here on BYC that if it is mellow its a hen
    freaks out its a roo..

5. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Then I have all roosters in my brooder because if I vacum they all freak out [​IMG]

6. maysouder

maysouder New Egg

Apr 8, 2009
    Its if you hold them up side down by there legs, if it freaks out its a roo and if not then it is a hen. What you do is hold the little legs between two fingers in one hand turn them over (not very fast) and watch it for a min. or so if freaks out and tey for pick you it is a roo. the hen will try but them they hen calm down. Most of all the farms around me tell me this so thats what I did.

7. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

i saw a video about how commercial hatcheries operate, and they sex chicks on a moving conveyer belt--if the feathers are all one length, hen. if they're different lengths, roo.

here's a link...

WARNING: if you're sensitive to factory practices, this is hard to watch--lots of chicks flopping on and off conveyers and being dropped down chutes. The feather part is at 3:03-3:10, but if you miss it by even a second, you'll see chicks being flung into chutes. They're not hurt, but it's heartless the way the toss the little things around. Just wanted to warn those who are chick softies (lots of us around here!)...

8. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:how accurate were your results?

9. KsTornado11

KsTornado11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Kansas
    Quote:A good friend of mine went to get her kids a few chicks for Easter from the feedstore & the guy working there told her this,and sold her two "hens". I asked her what the bin they had them in was labeled,& it was the "pan fry" bin. [​IMG]
    Needless to say,as she lives in town,I now own one of the EE cockerals,and the other cockerals are on Freecycle. The same employee tried this BS on me,good thing I knew better! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Feather sexing only works for certain breeds. Some breeds can be vent sexed at day one by experts who have extensive training in the art and are paid good money for their skill.
    Putting a chick on its back does nothing but freak it out, if it happens to be a chick that freaks out over little things. The rest of us have to wait till the secondary sex characteristics start to show themselves around 4 to 6 weeks or longer in the case of a few difficult to sex breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by