Old Wives Tell - Sexing Chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Red Barn Farms, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Ok, the other day my wife comes home from work and tells me this woman she works with who has raised chickens for years always has known if her babies are male or female. Very simple to tell and she's never been wrong. According to this woman you very gently pick them up by their necks and if their legs remain down straight you have a rooster. If the chick pulls their legs up tight against their bellies, pullet!

Hum, i don't know if this works because i really don't want to hold my chickens by the neck anyway! Wont that hurt them?

1 person likes this.
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    No, it won't necessarily hurt them if you're gentle about it.

But it doesn't work either. That particular method I've tested myself several times and it's always had the usual 50% error rate.

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I do something similar except I hold them in my hand and put them on their back and rub their belly to calm them down, I've got 6 8 week olds that i did this with as day olds and only one turned out to be a roo, I've got 8 3-5 week olds that i'm still waiting to see if it worked but so far it's looking like 2 are roos but tha'ts ok because they will be part of a pair

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by