Old wound, treat or not treat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arielle, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    One of my son's favorite chickens, a rooster, of course, received a stay of execution today when I more fully examined why it was limping. I cleaned the foot and felt matted feathers. Sitting down to give a full examination, I found an old wound that has opened and drained. THe skin has turned yellow ( white skinned bird) and he limps. He eats and drinks and tries to hobble around with his family. OR did until we confined him.

THe hole is between thigh and tummy area.

Flush? Bacitracin?

Give injectable antibitotics?

Dawg are you out there????? Or anyone else willing to share.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I had a very similar wound area. I sprayed Blue Kote on it, and let heal on it's own. Though my girl was not limping :confused:

Picture?

What about the feet..? Are there any scabs on the soles?

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I started at the feet actually, looking for booboos. NO booboo there.

THe yellowed skin has me worried. It is not healthy white-pink skin.

HOle thu skin is about size of dime and edges are old--not sure it can knit itself together. ANyone ever sew skin together to heal properly?

4. aoxa

I didn't, and her skin was discoloured around the edges. It cleared up no problem. Does it smell?

Infected wounds almost always smell. If you ever get a cut on yourself, you'll notice that the skin around the wound is discoloured as well. It's normal.

My girl had a much bigger wound. Ever see those white out tapes? It's was the size of that - and shaped very similar. Took her a month to heal, and she laid the entire time.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I did give a good sniff-- no odor. Large area is yellowed from belly across hole and much of the drumstick. He limps. FOrtunately he is eating and drinking.

THe hole is at the area between leg and belly. and it is pulled away from the muscling. WIll have a better look at it tomorrow.

6. aoxa

He's probably limping because it's chafing. Hope that's all that is.

I would just spray him with Blue Kote or let him be. Even polysporin without any pain killers would help heal it. I just find the Blue Kote works the quickest.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THank you. WIll see if he pulls thru.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Update-- He healed up and rejoined his siblings.

I did not flush or use antibiotics. Caged with his own food and water; room to move without being bothered; cage placed in a coop with other chickens for company.

After about 10 days, I let him into the coop area during the day, to exercise and get moving again. At three weeks he was back out with his siblings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by