Older and younger chicks???

jenniebean123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
I have two something like 6 week old silkie chicks and im getting some young 2 week black copper maran chicks in guessing i should keep them apart for a while but i dont really know te silkies are my first also anything i should know about black copper marans thats different??

As long as they have enough space, you should be able to just put them all together. I have been combining age groups all summer without a problem. It's putting chicks with adults that poses concern in my experience.

Howdy PatiHF

I use the ‘look but not touch’ method of integration using wire or a crate etc so that they can get used to each other without the threat of injury. I keep them separated in this way for at least a week.

I let the existing flock out for a free range while the newbies are locked in the coop and run. This gives the newbies the opportunity to explore and feel comfortable in what will be their new home without the threat of being picked on and also learn where all the good hiding spots are.

Same with free range, but reversed; I let the newbies wander around the garden while the existing flock are locked in. Granted, the existing flock have a good whinge about this
wink.png
but again, it gives the newbies chance to explore, get settled and find all the good hiding spots without being picked on.

I find that free ranging is a good opportunity to let everyone get to know each other .. space is a great tool when integrating.

There will probably still be bickering while the pecking order reestablishes itself when they are integrated, but it should not be quite as brutal.

Edited to Add: Also, when they are integrated into the run and coop, for a couple of months I ensure that there is more than once source of water and food, just in case the newbies are being bullied away from either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom