Older birds showing cocci signs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pwiddy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. pwiddy

pwiddy New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    Sorry if this has all been done before, I'm concerned my birds might be 'different' as they're ex batts.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 3 ex batts approx 2 years & 1 'pre-batt' approx 20 weeks. Weight approx 3kg for the older birds, 2kg for the younger one.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Behavior is fine. Droppings range from normal to yellow foam, some with intestinal lining and I've seen2 with tiny bits of blood. Lots more yellow foam poo & lining than usual.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Yes. One more so
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. It has been humid lately
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Normal diet- pellets, scratch feed, fresh veg.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. As above
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Wormer. Unfortunately they're too smart and avoid drinking if the wormer is in the water so I syringed some into them
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself for now
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use free range in the yard. Coop has straw on the ground, cleaned daily.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    How many days did you worm them for? Dawg is the worming guru, hopefully he's around to help if it is worms.

The other thing I thought of first was a bacterial infection of some kind. Does the foamy poo smell bad? (Different/worse than usual?)

4. pwiddy

pwiddy New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    Thank you very much for that info. Besides from their poo they're not exhibiting any other symptoms. Another problem is is that I'm in Australia so the range of meds is limited. I have sulfadim- should I start them on that 'just in case'?

I wormed them for 1 day as per the 'worm-enda' directions with the intention of following it up in 14 days. The foamy poo does smell bad.

5. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    I assume that's a sulfa based drug, but I've not had experience working with that. Sulmet (also a sulfa based antibiotic) is what I've used before as well as SMX. I've had good luck with sulfa based drugs, but again, I don't know enough about that particular drug to be able to say for sure. I also know that not all sulfa based drugs take care of all bacteria (which is why I had to go through three different kinds before my chickens got well again.)

For that reason, and because I'm not as experienced as others on this site, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt:

I'd personally start them on whatever antibiotic you have, paying close attention to the dosing directions. I'd also give them some yogurt at the same time to help keep their digestive systems as healthy with good bacteria as you can while they're being treated for the bad bacteria. Just be sure that the yogurt you give them has live cultures. I try to get the kind of yogurt that has as many strains of good bacteria as I can.

Keep in mind that you can't eat the eggs while you're dosing them with the antibiotic, and can't eat them for a certain time frame after they're done with treatment (usually two weeks, but sometimes a different length of time.)

Good luck and I hope this helps!

6. pwiddy

pwiddy New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    So I got home from work to find their poop full of wriggly worms!! Because the worms are still alive, I'm giving them a hit if avitrol plus in their water for 24 hours-unless people think I shouldn't as I might overdose them?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by