Older birds won't go into coop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hillrunner, Aug 9, 2014.

1. hillrunner

hillrunner Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Arg it has been three weeks locked in their new coop! At Roost time the new chickens go to the new coop but my chickens I had before the new coop go back to the old house I used as a coop. How long will this take?!?

2. WeBeCluckin

WeBeCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    Try blocking access to the old coop, though if yours are like mine, be prepared to move the old coop! I just went through something similar combining my old flock with a new young flock into the new hen house we're building. I ended up having to remove the run entirely (which is how they accessed their coop after free ranging) and move it about 15 feet from where it had been since the old flock would continue to nestle down in front of the closed run door every night. For about the first 3 to 4 nights we had to put most of em to bed in the new house. Fortunately, we have lots of kiddos around here to help round em up. I don't know how I would have done it without help!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. WeBeCluckin

WeBeCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    Forgot to mention that I flipped the old run upside down so they didn't recognize it. A couple of the girls still showed interest in the coop even after the pop door was boarded up but moving it over about 8 feet and turning it to different a different angle fixed that. Guess it didn't look like home anymore and erased any lingering "homey" feelings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by