older chick acting like a mama hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbsangel86, Sep 6, 2014.

1. kbsangel86

kbsangel86 New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    NC
    I have a br chick that is allowing the younger chicks (that i got to keep it company) to huddle up to/under it, the same way a mama hen would do with her hatch. My br (Nibblet) is somewhere between 10 and 14 weeks old maybe? And the others (leghorn/cubalaya mix) are 6-7 weeks old. Is this a sign that Nibblet is a hen or is it just because he/she is larger and older? Sorry for the poor pic

[​IMG]

2. kbsangel86

kbsangel86 New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    NC
    [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure why, but just count yourself lucky that the older chick has accepted the younger ones,

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's so adorable! But rare! You probably won't have this happen again, ever.

No, it's no guarantee this sweet chick is a pullet. But if this turns out to be a roo, he'll be a great one, probably.

5. kbsangel86

kbsangel86 New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    NC
    Oh i do! This chick appeared in my dog run 5 or 6 weeks ago and i couldnt find any chicks close to its age until 3 weeks ago. After a few weeks of involuntary isolation (i setioudly have no clue where it came from or how it got inside a 6ft privacy fence) it finally got dome friends. There was a staredown (15 vs 1) but no squabbles. I was REALLY lucky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by