older chicken is sick

Todd Duke

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
I have a 6 year old chicken that is not doing well. Her drown is fading in color and she has lost her energy. This has been going on for about 6 to 8 weeks. She laid eggs up to about three days ago. I had to put her in the coop last night. Today she is laying on the ground. I carried her over to some food and she fell to the ground. Any ideas besides old age?
Thanks,
Todd

What is her drown... do you mean her comb? Do you have any more you can notice or tell about her? Weight , breed, ....where are you located? Is it very cold? What is her diet? Have you had to treat her or any other of your birds? What do her droppings look like? Are her tail feathers clean? her vent? Her own immune system will need to kick into gear... sometimes nutri-drench for poultry gives them energy to fight. I have even treated people with pnuemonia by giving them vitamins and they got moving and their system kicked in. Hope she makes it.

I did mean her comb. I'm about 30 miles north of Philadelphia. It has been cold but not terrible. Her tail feathers are straight and clean. I checked her vent today. She was a little dirty but not blocked. I haven't seen her droppings (have five other birds). I feed them a layer pellet daily. I will treat them with veggies from our table and wild bird seed a few times a week. She is a cross between a Rhode Island red and something else. I bought her from a local farmer. What is a Nutri-drench?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom