older chicken trying to steal new born chick frm younger broody chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jen3991, Aug 25, 2014.

1. jen3991

jen3991 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Hi. I wonder if anyone can offer some advice.
    We have a 18 month old chicken -Brenda- and a chicken we believe to be around 4 years old -Bellina-
    Brenda went broody and we decided to let her hatch off a chick. She patiently sat on the egg but a few days before the egg was due to hatch Bellina seeming to sense the birth was imminent started pecking her on the head and face until Brenda would be forced to leave the egg so that She could sit on it. We started letting Bellina and our two older chicks out and shutting the door to the run so that Brenda could be alone with the egg. The chick hatched about 24hrs ago and we have had to keep Bellina separated from Brenda and the chick at day and night as we know she will peck at her till she leaves so that she can have the chick. Our two older chicks were born about 14 weeks ago and the same thing happened there Brenda did most of the sitting then Bellina forced her way in and took over. Brenda still mothered the chicks but it was clear that Bellina was 'mum' So this time we thought it woukd be nice for Brenda to have her moment : ) Do you think an anti peck spray woukd help? Bellina has always been a bit of a pecker with the others anyway trying to show them who is in charge. We are considering taking her back to my partners mum where we got her from? She has other chickens and a large coop so Bellina won't be alone but I just feel guilty getting rid of her if there is something else we could do? Or do you think taking her away will be for the best as she seems to rule the roost and we know she is going to steal the baby away from Brenda as soon as we give her the chance. Any advise will be greatly received. Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The best solution for a bully hen is to remove her from the flock, unless you really want to keep her.

3. jen3991

jen3991 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Yeah i think you are right. We haven't bonded with her as much as the others bit it will still be hard to part with her. Think we are going to take her back to my partners mum 2moro. She will still have other hens for company and lots of space so hopefully she will settle back in. Thankyou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by