Older chicken won't let little ones roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoManyHats, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I just integrated 13 10-week olds into a group of six older ones (maybe 8 months old - they've been laying for a couple months). It went really well as far as I can see - no blood shed or relentless tormenting. We put up another 2x4 roost in the coop, with the small side up for the littles, and it's about 6 inches lower than the main roost. The bigger girls have ignored it completely until the littles moved in. Now the one that is lowest on the pecking has decided to roost there and won't let any of the littles on it. So they huddle in a corner instead of roosting. Will she let them roost eventually - I mean soon, not when they're bigger and can assert themselves?

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

It may takes time, is their away to install another roost, I build a roost cage with six roosts, and waited about seven month's before they decided to make use of the roost

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Even when I integrate point-of-lay pullets, the older hens force them to sleep on the floor for a while. It may take weeks or months, but eventually they'll get to use the roosts. And in the meantime, sleeping on the floor won't hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by